Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Tuesday 2 January 2018

Phil's Gear Guide: Saucony Koa ST, Out of The Box Review

Saucony, Koa ST
If I have learned one thing about running, it is that it is all about management.  Managing your energy, managing time, managing nutrition and my favourite.... managing your gear!!  This is my second winter running with my original pair of Saucony Razor Ice shoes.  They are EXCEPTIONAL in the wet snow, water and slush we encounter in northern Alberta in the late winter and early spring.  They are now on their last few hundred kilometres and with my 2018 ultra training just getting into high gear, I know they won't make it to the slush season if I use them throughout the winter.  And since this is now my second winter using them, it is definitely time for a new pair of winter shoes!!
The aggressive tread works well in loose snow
as well as snow covered ice patches.
With Boxing week sales in full force, I headed to our local running store in search of a good pair of winter trail shoes with spikes.  The trails around here are now hard packed snow and with no recent fresh snow on them, they have turned quite icy.  Since I tend to procrastinate, and I was shopping on the LAST day of the sale, I was not able to find shoes that fit me well that had corks.  I was about to resort to online shopping when the owner of the store recommended the Saucony Koa ST.  They are not corked, but their aggressive tread has been touted as an excellent trail option.

The initial try-on, was just like slipping my feet into a bit of heaven!!!  The inside cushioning is very similar to the Razor Ice.  Soft enough to mold to your feet but firm enough to provide ample support on uneven trails. The most noticeable difference from the Razor Ice (aside from lacking the built in gauntlet) is the spacious toe box.  At first, it seemed that the toe box was TOO big, (even for my wide feet) but the quick lace system easily snugs them up.  The first several runs were in -35 degree celsius weather.  My toes stayed very warm with the extra bit of space for movement, or for an extra pair of socks if that is your choice.  And even with the extreme cold weather, the shoes stayed very flexible.  The heel pocket is deep, and hugs the back portion of the foot.  Even while wearing more slippery compression socks, there is no heel movement in the shoe.

The quick lace system easily closes the  shoe,without
causing any puckers in the toe material.


Weighing in at 292 grams, the Koa ST's are lighter than some of the other Saucony winter shoes.  While Saucony reviews list these as NON water resistant or waterproof, the outer shell does not let any snow or moisture into the shoe and seems water proof up to the tongue opening.  

The traction on the snow packed trails is exceptional and exceeded any other winter shoe I have run in.  Even on snow covered ice, the soft lugs seem to grip very well.  I would assume that the soft rubber would wear quickly (much like the Razor Ice) if used for any length of time on bare pavement.

Overall, these shoes do not disappoint!!  With a local price of only $159.99, I would definitely recommend these as a cheaper substitute for the more expensive Razor Ice, especially if you are looking for a roomier shoe.  I only real down side that I see so far, is they have not built in the little pouch in the top of the tongue to tuck in the laces.  There are a couple other location to tuck the lace end, but they are not as out of the way as the original design.

I would rate these shoes a STRONG 4 out of 5 and highly recommend them.  I am looking forward to putting more miles on them on the snowy trails.



No comments:

Post a Comment