Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Monday 17 July 2017

Confessions.....

This weekend was spent in Fort St John.  Relatives from the states came up and it wasnt long before we were all talking running!!!  Any time 5 runners get together there are varying speeds and ideas of where we should run and how far we should run.  Unfortunately, there were more votes for pavement than gravel trails....so I conceeded.

Since I was running with my oldest sister and brother, I knew better than to try to get my way and run strictly on dirt trails.  Even though I was also running with my future sister-inlaw and my favorite aunt, I knew my older siblings would out vote my desire for the more technical trails.  So we struck out on the pavement.....


"These beauties though!!!  They have style, class and amazing looking shirts"

I forgot how boring it was to run on pavement. I had to make up stories and running tips to share with Faith and Aunt Leeann. And since Steve was up ahead running with Megan, he was no help wowing the ladies with our wealth of running knowledge and "tips".




The 9 km of pavement seemed to be never ending.  But as I dozed in and out of a comatose state, we eventually did reach then end and start the trail portion.

The gravel trail was cut into the side hill and went down into a small creek valley. There were numerous muddy spots and I became happy again!!




At the 12 km mark we were back at the truck.  The rest of the crew had reached their target distance, but I still had more to do, and I was looking forward to exploring more trails in the dense woods.

After refilling my water pack, changing into my trail shoes, and grabbing my trecking poles, I was headed back into the woods.

As I started my first decent into the valley, it was rather quiet without Steve nattering on about how is road shoes were getting dirty on the muddy trail. I did miss Leeanns previous attempt to sing as she ran....(It seemed to attract more mosquitoes so she didnt sing for long.)

When I reached the first corner at thw bottom of the trail, I met a runner who I knew when we previously lived in Ft St John. We were more aquaintences when we moved, but you knlw how runners are; I turned around and asked if I could join her on her run.

She agreed so we continued down the trail together. I could tell she was much faster than me, but I am stubborn and strongly believe that I can do anything for an hour....  She definitely set the pace going up the hills. Even with the advantage of trecking poles, I began to peter out....

About this point in the run I started to learn a very valuable lesson:  please, spare yourself great pain and discomfort and learn from me.

(Disclaimer:  In this portion of the blog, there will be no pictures and you must "read between the lines".)

In the past 2 yrs, I have done quite a few long runs.  My rule is, if I am running more than 15 km, I use vaseline to prevent chafing.  I am can honestly say, up until this point I have never had a problem with chafing, because vaseline works for me!!!

Well, I forgot to bring my anti-chafe product to Ft St John and I did realize this as I was getting ready for my run.  But in my mind, I thought to myself "I have never had a problem with chafing...I will be ok this time".

You see, the reason I had never had problems with chafing, IS BECAUSE I USED VASELINE!!!  But on this run, school was definitly in session and I was about to get an education!!!

When Linda left me and I was running alone for the last 4 kms, I was somewhat relieved.  This allowed me to adjust my clothes a bit to prevent farther discomfort from the friction...but the damage was already done!!!  My favorite running shorts has seen enough miles....and soon I had some extra ventilation in the afflicted areas.

Back at the truck, the 20 min ride on a hot leather seat seemed to add sand to open wound.  When I got out of the truck, I could tell that a "normal stride" was not going to be possible....even at a walking pace.

When I walked into the house, apparently, everyone could tell there was a certain level of discomfort in my gait, and my favorite aunt seemed concerned about my "injury"....  

I tried to explain to her in the most gentle words the extent of my injury. Really, in an effort to sum it up briefly to her, I explained it as a "pulled groin".  This is a socially exceptable term that has a certain level of heroism to it.....  "I was pushing my body so hard, that the boundaries of my muscles were reached, but I pushed farther, to the point of failure....and pulled my groin".

In the converation that continued, there were various remedies for "pulled groins"...none of which seemed to help my particular type of strain.

In the end, I learned...and two days later, I am still learning with every step:  If something works for you; KEEP DOING IT!!!  Aparently the vaseline was doing its job, and who knew, vaseline could prevent a pulled groin??










No comments:

Post a Comment