Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Thursday 6 July 2017

"Run" Jasper

We are camping an Jasper for a week, so I though what better opportunity to find some hill trails to run!!  After a quick online search, I discovered the Folding Mountain Trail, a 16 km trail just down the road from our campsite.  The second night we were here, myself and a friend we are camping with decided to go scope out the trail and make sure it was suitable to run.

It didnt take long to realize that the trail reviews were true....the first 2 km we STEEP!!!  In fact, that is as fas as Mike and I made it on our "test hike".  The trail was well worn so I knew I would be able to follow it running and the reviews did state that it leveled off a bit after the first 2 km.



Mike, starting back down the trail after our "test hike".

When Steve, Megan and I started out on the trail 2 days later, I warned them that the trail was STEEP, but we should be able to run most of it after the first 2 km.

At the first break in the thick timber at roughly km 3, it was obvious how high we had climbed and also became apparent how much higher we had to go!!!  There were a couple sections where the incline on the trail was gradual enough that we could run, so we made up some precious time that we lost hiking in the timber.

Steve kept waiting for the "ridge running" section, which he somehow got in his head was part of this trail.  The anticipation of this exhillerating portion of the trail was all that kept him going as we plodded on through the many wildfowers and continued the steep climb.
"A portion of the trail that was ridge running...just for Steve!!!"

When we finally did come to a portion of the trail that was "ridge running" it was unclear if it was the steep grade as the trail went up the ridge, the rocky cliff hundreds of meters down to our left, or the thick tangle of scrubby spruce trees on our right; but for some reason, Steve opted to hike the only portion of the trail that was "ridge running".....

It was only another kilometer or so, when we reached a summit, that we could see the final summit.  The last ascent was through a small saddle (which was runable) then guarded by a large shale rock slide which ended at the top of a rocky cliff which extended to near the bottom of the valley and certain death to any runner, hiker, or ridge runner who was foolish enough to attempt the final summit.

I could see a trail cutting diagonally up the shale slide that required a closer inspection. Maybe the final summit WAS conquerable?!?!?

I left my pack with Steve and Megan; told them I loved them both, and asked them to look after my family if I didnt return then put all fear and common sense aside and started the jog through the saddle to the final ascent!!!

When I reached shale slide it became aparent that the trail was not from other hikers, but from mountain sheep. This was not a very comforting thought, but the fact that there was a trail (sort of) kept me going.

Soon the sheep trail ended in a rocky ridge that jutted straight out from the mountain about 6 feet.  I knew that simply climbed the face that was littered with loose rock, but I still had enough wits about me to determine that the small cliff was well beyond my skill level.  So I turned back to my right and started to traverse the rock slide again, this time making my own trail.

At the top of the slide I could see the summit just a few feet higher.  The wind which had been steadily blowing up the slide was MUCH worse at the top and made it nearly impossible to stand up for fear of being blown off the mountain.



 After some pictures at the top and a quick FB Live video for the run group at home, I started the descent...  Traversing the rock slide going down was MUCH worse than coming up, several times, I did second guess my decision so climb the summit, but the view and feeling of satisfaction made it all worth it.

After joining up with Steve and Megan, we made our way back down the mountain. Running where we could and slidding down where it was too steep to run, we made MUCH better time going down!!



While the 16 km trail was much shorter than the targeted run distance for the day, it wasnt really much of a tun after all, but just an amazing hike!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment