Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Tuesday 18 July 2017

Phil's Gear Guide: Trecking Poles

Any runner knows how exciting it is to purchase new gear!! We all like to talk about it, but it is very disapointing when the gear we purchase isnt what we had hoped it would be.

This is a new segment I am starting where I will share my opinions and thoughts on equipment I have used in my adventures.

Todays review is for Woods, Adventure trecking poles.



Specifications:

Max Extended Length: 135 cm
Compressed Length: 26 Inches
Weight:  1 Lb 6 Oz
Purchase Location:  Canadian Tire, Grande Prairie, Alberta
Purchase Price:  $29.99

I have used these poles for roughly 100 km.  About 20 km was hiking in the mountains, the remainder has been on running trails and hills.

The reason I bought these particular poles was because of the price.  This was my first experience with trecking poles, so I wanted to make sure I liked using them before I invested in a quality pair.

To say the least, I got what I paid for.  I would recommend them to a beginner, but they are heavy.  And at 26" when telescoped closed, they are too long to tie onto the average running hydration pack. However, I am looking forward to using them for sheep hunting as they tie onto my 64 liter moutain pack very nicely.

The twist locks used to set the adjustable useable length works well, even with sweaty hands. I did have one pole slowly start to collapse on me because I failed to tighten the lock all the way.

They came with a rubber foot to cover the hardened steel tip as well as two different size snow baskets (which I removed).  The steel tip sticks to mountain rock very well, and while I havent used them extensivly on rocks, they dont seem to be wearing much at all.

I did removed the baskets, because I didnt want them snagging on grass and bushes beside the trail. But Ive found that the knurled twost locks do tend to snag on grass and bushes.

When using them to climb steep muddy hills, I put EXCESSIVE weight on them to see how they would handle it.  I weigh just over 200 lbs and I would estimate I put well over 100 lbs on them and they held up well.  However, when crossing a mud slide, one pole sank in about a foot, and as I continued to move forward the lower segment bent about 2 inches out of allignment.  I was able to straighten it out fairly well when I got home and it still telescopes closed.

The hand straps are easily adjustable when using gloves and are handy to use in case a pole gets stuck in the mud....they dont get left behind!!

The shock absorbers seem like a good idea and do add a level of comfort when on hard ground or catching yourself from falling. However, they add extra weight and the shock absorbers are noisy.




SUMMARY: 3 out of 5 stars.

Pros:  Inexpensive.
           Hand Straps work well.
           Varying lenth for different height people.
           1 Year replacement warranty at                            Canadian Tire.

Cons: Heavy.
           Locking knurles grab grass and shrubs.
           Poles will collapse of not tightened all                  the way.
           Collapsed length is too long for running              hydration packs.
         

At the end of the day, you are getting what you pay for. I would highly recommend them for hiking or hunting, or the beginner runner. Not recommended when you have to tie onto and remove from small packs or use them long distance.  



Please let me know if you found this review helpful!!!  I value your opinion as well. 😀

If you have something you would like me to test and write a review about, email me at phil.troyer@troyer.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment