Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Tuesday 1 August 2017

Thank God for Bees!!!

I must confess, I have a few run to catch up on but todays run was too good (or bad) to not share, right away!!!

Todays run was supposed to be 30 km of easy trail running. It seemed like an easy enough assignment, but if you arent prepared for the run, even such a simple task as putting on your compressions socks can be a challenge!!!  Note to self:  Put Vaseline on your feet BEFORE you put on your socks....

The run started uneventfull enough. There we some concerns voiced from the ladies about my lack of knowledge of they complicated trail system in Evergreen Park; but I assured them that I knew where we we going....which was true for the most part.

On the section of single track at the bottom of Shari's Hill, we had to slow our blistering pace (which I was setting) to climb over a large fallen tree which has been there most of the summer. I climbed over it uneventfully enough and Christina followed suit.  Bringing up the back of the pack, Lisa was doing a fine job keeping up with us. She was midstride in clearing the tree when she loudly exclaimed that she had just been poked or stung in the "sitting part of her body"...(those are my words, not hers).

She quickly assesed herself as still fit to run so we continued deeper into the woods towards the creek. After some hesitation a couple wrong turns, we emerged from the creek trail and back onto the power line.

I an effort to prevent extended periods of backtracking, we opted to turn right and continue to the creek in another portion of the park. As the trail dipped down a steep muddy embankment, I could hear comments of how this was supposed to be an "easy" 30 km run, so when we reached the dead end trail at a creek crossing, I lead the pack upstream on an overgrown trail to find a trail with a more gradual incline.

After a short distance, this trail too dead-ended at a sharp bend in the creek.  The only option was to return and go back up the slippery slope. I guess if I would have been a real gentleman, I would have offered the ladies my poles, but we did discuss bring poles earlier in the day and they just chose not too....

As we reached the mid-point in the run, my fuel tank was already on empty....all the salt tabs and dates in the world, couldnt seem to bring me around. I was used to running in the heat, and I was hydrated, but my night time road trip to Edmonton and four hours of sleep seemed to have left me lacking.  This was a first time experiencing this for me...I was light headed and I didnt have any witty comebacks when I was harrassed by Lisa about my eggs benedict run.  (See earlier blog.)

A short distance down the trail, one of my fellow runners directed my attention off the trail as we passed a large dead spruce tree.  The sharp brittle branches we lurking over the trail and angrily harpooned the side of my head as I shuffled past...focusing only on staying upright long enough to finish the race.  This farther added to the spinning and whirring in my head!!!

It was then that the tables turned...  Christina broke out in this funky 80's dance move, right in the middle of the trail. I stopped and watched in amazement, thinking that I had reached that point and finaly bonked!!

I was awakened from my state of delerium when she started screaming/singing to the dance moves.... "BEES!!!"

It turned out to only be onebee, but a well placed sting in her ankle soon started to swell.

At this point, I could see the fear in Lisa's eyes. They had already discussed how they would pin my location when I went down and text it to all my friends so the could send me cards and notes of condolences, but she (or we) were not prepared to deal with anaphylactic shock!!!  The best option was to cut the run short and get home while were we all still somewhat able!!!

A quick calculation, indicated that we would be back at the parking lot at the 20 km mark.  We took a moment and congratulated ourselves for running nearly  a half marathon and still concidering it a failed run, the retraced our steps and started the 5 km jaunt back.

At the old fallen log, Lisa was smart and was leading the pack, with the two handicapped runners bringing up the back.  But the bees had other plans and were waiting for Lisa again.... but this time, three of them attacked together....in the same general area as before!!!

A quick self examination determined that she would still be able to complete the run, but not without an added level of discomfort in her gait. But not supprisingly, it didnt seem to slow her pace. She fearlessly lead us out of the woods and back to the parked cars.

An extended loop in the parking lot was required to get my watch to finish at the correct 20.00 target.  After a few pictures and high fives, we congratulated each other for finishing a challenging run, and still finishing like the tough trail runners that we are.




No comments:

Post a Comment