Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Tuesday 22 August 2017

Longest Training Run.... 44 km!!

My training for Golden Ultra has come a long way...it has come all the way to this run!!  For the next 4 weeks, the runs get shorter and yes, nerves get tighter!!!

This run was the master of all training runs....  44 kilometers. It would be my longest run ever for distance and time.  The plan was to attack Babcock Mountain near Tumbler Ridge BC.  The trail for the Emperors Challenge is only 20 kilometers, so we would have to run it twice, then complete an additional 4 km.


The night before, I was focused on nutrition and hydration. I estimated that the run would be 6 hours plus, so I wanted to pack more rather than less.  I boiled three portions of potatoes and partially filled multiple water bottles and put them in the freezer for the night.  I filled a shaker with my post run mix, 45 grams of protien powder, a scoop of BCAA's and a scoop of Glutamine.  After my run, I just had to add a couple ice cubes and a cup of orange juice then enjoys the post run deliciousness!!! Then I filled my bag with other snacks for the ride home.

The last, and possibly most important step of the evening was to set my alarm for 5:15AM.  I was meeting 3 other ladies at 6 AM at the westside Tim Hortons and didnt want to keep them waiting!!!

Even though I had good intentions and made a good plan, my body had other plans.  I COULDN'T GO TO SLEEP!!!  At 1:15 AM I was still wide awake, so I got out of bed and ate a banana.  That seemed to do the trick.  When my alarm went off, I rolled out of bed at the crack of 5:40....WHAT???

Luckily, I had everything laid out the night before and left a list on the counter of everything I had to get out of the freezer and fridge!!  I raced around the house, getting everything together, scarffed some breakfast, then sprinted across the yard to the truck.
The cool morning air, woke up my still half sleeping body.

When I arrived at Tim's at 6:01, I had a message from the ladies that they were running late, and would be there by 6:15!!!  Ha HA, I would not be the one holding up the show!!!  I grabbed a quick coffee and bagel for extra sustenance, then we hit the road.

Just over 2 hrs later we reached Core Lodge, the start point of our run. The BRISK wind added an additional chill to the +7° mountain air.  And after a quick discussion, we dicided to start the run from Boulder Gardens, about 3 km up the road, so we would spend less time exposed to the wind.

This seemed like a good idea at the time, but really, I think it was just a stalling tactic....  But a great idea, none the less!!!

When we finaly started down the trail I was appointed to set the pace. This was quite a relief to me as both Christine and Michelle are ALWAYS in front of me in run group and I was afraid I may have a hard time keeping up to them on this long run.  Luckily, the trail was single file for the first few kilometers and I was able to beat them back with my poles when they tried to pass!!!  (Not really, but I was planning on it if they tried to pass me.)

The first few kilometers are a gradual ascent but we ran for the first while. As we got higher, the trees got shorter and the wind picked up more. Soon I could tell the wind was going to be an issue, but I didnt want to be the one to change plans now!!  Since two of the ladies had never run the course we decided that we had to run the full course at least once.  So we continued on into the wind, closing in on the summit.


We stopped behind the last large rocky outcrop just before we broke out into the open wind-swept summit. We added a few layers of clothes, took a few pictures and selfies then headed for the summit. The headwind was so strong even MY hair was blowing straight back!!!  Even though it was pretty much level ground or slighly downhill, running into the wind proved to be a challenge.

After looking over the summit, we all voted in favor or dropping off the ridge to the left early and hit the trail a few hundred yard up the small valley.

The mossy valley floor was quite a change from the sharp rocks we had been running on for the past hour. My feet thanked me. Just before we intersected the trail, we stopped behind a small knoll, ate, took some more pictures and admired the views of the summit.


Back on the trail, we were back in the wind. It was nothing but a fight to keep going. Running along the south ridge, the wind was now blowing behind us, and the trail was more downhill.  Soon we were back on the road, and running the 5 kilometers back to Core Lodge.  There was a pickup there which marked the finish line for us, so we circled around it then retraced our path, back up the road to the truck.

Twenty kilometers completed!!!

We refilled our water packs and replentished our food supplies, then continued back up the road to complete the mountain circuit again.  This time backwards.   The uphill road portion seemed to never end, and at this stage of the run, it was more of a power hike than a run.

Once we were back on the single track, we were now facing the back sides of the trail markers. The fronts were painted bright orange from the race the week before, but the back sides were weathered gray, the same color as the rocks so we actually had to pay attention to not miss the trail in the rocky sections. But running the course backwards was full of views and terrain which seemed new to us.


Near the summit, we spotted the heard of resident sheep. They seemed to laugh at us as they ran up over the near verticle ridge and out of sight.

When we reached the small valley near the top, we chose to run cross country down the valley rather than face the wind at the summit again, even though we would be running down wind this time.  This was one of the most spectacular portions of the run.  The mossy valley bottom was bright green and covered with small flowers.  It seemed like we were running in a dream....then the mossy valley floor quickly turned into a boulder pile!!



Rocks the size of small cars were piled on top of each other and our run turned into more of a rock scramble; but we were not about to be out done by the goats watching us from the ridge behind us.

From there we hit the main trail and headed down the last 10 kilometers to the truck.  The final kilometers seemed to NEVER end, but we still had 6 more to go....

After a quick snack at the truck and a water refill, we headed down the road for the last time.  Christine set the pace and was dead set that we stay consistent all the way to the parking lot at the bottom.

Once again, we circled the truck that symbolized the turnaround point. This time, the driver had just finished loading his quad and was sitting inside. He seemed quit startled, when two sweat soaked people in colorful running gear started to circle his vehicle. He was probably just as relieved as we were, when we headed back down the road.

To make up the final 6 km, we headed to Babcock Falls. The short single track was littered with tree roots and rocks that were slippery from the recent rain shower.  We started to second guess our choice of trail but soon arrived at the bottom of the falls.

The cool mist from the falls was very refreshing even though we were both soaked with sweat from the previous 6 hours of running and chilled from the rain.  Wading into the water, the cold mountain water seemed to rejuvenate our weary feet...but it soon also caused them to go numb!!!  So after some more selfies, we started the climb back up and out of the creek valley to the road above.



After reaching the road, we STILL had nearly 4 kilometers to go to reach our target!!!  Luckily it was all up hill back to our truck so we power walked most of the way rather than ran.  In the few level portions we ran, but fatigue and the cold water seemed to have caused my legs to stiffen up...they didnt want to run any more!!!

Christine kept on setting the pace, up the long steady incline; past our truck one more time!!  FINALLY, my watch indicated we had gone far enough!!!

I had FINALLY completed an ULTRA marathon distance run!!!  There were definitly some high fives and there may have been a tear, or two, mixed with sweat roll down my cheek....  It was such an accomplished feeling!!  I HAD DONE IT!!!!  I had to reflect on the people who had helped me get to this point: coach Krista for constantly cheering me on and all the rest of the run team for running with me and constantly pushing me and showing me this WAS possible!!  

I felt ready for Golden....the long run is only 16 km longer than this run, and I know I can do it!!!  But there are still 4 more weeks of training, and Im sure there are many more things I will learn before race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment