Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Monday 4 September 2017

Taper Time!!!

The taper is officially on!!!  Even though it sounds easy and simple, these training runs still need preperation and focus.


Todays 32 km run started with just Shari and I. We were going to bust out 12 km before Katheen and Donna joined us.

The first loop of the Waxwing trails went well. I was feeling good and Shari and I had a good pace going on. At 4:00 we were back at the parking lot, to refill our water packs and meet up with the other ladies.

The 10 min transition seemed to go by fast but once we were back on the trail, it became very apparent to me that I had lost my momentum on the run.

The mid 20° tempurature didnt help much either.  But we pushed on.

I tried some new snacks on the run:  Fig Newtons and Rice Works Salt and Sesame chips.  Both worked well and tasted delicious!!!
The heat seemed to hit again, about kilometer 25 while we were on the powerline in Evergreen Park.  This second leg of the run would be 22 km and I knew my water supply could run dry anytime after 15 km.  So even though I was sweating lots, I tried to stick to drinking water only on my 10 minute intervals.  I took a second dose of salt tabs, and after a quick cool down at the creek, we were back on the trails.

The last 5 km seemed to never end!!  Luckily, we were back in the creek valley and as the sun started to sink lower behind the trees, it became a bit cooler.

For the final distance, we had to do a lap around the parking lot, but we DID IT!!!  We enjoyed a quick refreshing Fresca at the vehicles and compared lessons that we learned on the run then we parted ways.

Golden Ultra Marathon is less than three weeks away!!!  I feel ready to do this!!

Now the focus is on hydration, eating LOTS of carbs and protien, and not getting injured on any training runs!!


No comments:

Post a Comment