Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Friday 22 September 2017

Golden Ultra - Stage One....FINISHED


(My appologies for no pictures on this blog.  For some reason, the wifi is slow tonight and I am not able to upload them.  Ill post them on Instagram and link them to Facebook.)

It was over far too soon!!!  A breakfast meeting with the running team turned into a strategy planning session. It turned out, I didnt really change anything from my original plan, but we had a good discussion none the less!!

At noon while we we registering at Kicking Horse Resort, the sun broke out of the clouds and the day warmed up.  But as the afternoon wore on, it proved to be a false hope.

After registration, and more strategy with the team, I headed back to the camper and got down to business, getting ready for the race!!

My nerves definitly started to get to me, as I was getting my pack loaded and getting my bag together with dry clothes for supper at the resort after the race.  Everything was set, and I felt good as I left the camper and started the 20 min drive to the base of the mountain. It was now covered in cloud and the sun was sinking lower in the sky. It looked cooler and I had time to spare so I returned to the trailer and put an extra pair of pants in my pack...just in case. Id rather have too many clothes with me than not enough.

Waiting in front of the resort for start time, we compared everyones resting heart beat...to see who REALLY had the nerves going already. Suprisingly, my heart rate was in the low 60's; not much above my normal rate.

Finally the race started and we were off!!!  The firsy 20 feet we a slight uphill grade, then it got steeper, our slow jog turned into a power hike!!  For the first 3 km, it was a steady grind, straight up a ski run. It was nothing but methodical plodding along, one step after another...keep going....

Soon after the 3 km mark, the trail cut to the right and onto single track.  First it cut through a big boulder slide then into the trees and onto a well worn path. The steep sections had flat rocks placed in a stairs pattern.

This was a HUGE mental boost, and I was able to pick up my pace. It wasnt long before I caught up to another runner (Shari) from our team. I warner her that this meant we were going to have to sprint it out at the top.  She replied...in disagreement so I just continued to follow close behind her.

When the finish line was in site, I started the sprint and tried to pass her. Her sharp elbow in my ribs nearly sent me plummeting over the steep rocky cliff to our left, but I managed to recover and pass her at the finish line!!

I really didnt know what to expect for a finish time. I knew I could do it in less than 2 hours so I would be happy with anything less. My official time was 1:21:50 and place 101 out of 178!!!  Five kilometers with 1,058 meters of vertical - stage one DONE!!!

The best part, is my legs still feel good!!!  No problem going up and down stairs!!!  I need to get my drop backs and pack ready for tomorrow, then eat some more!!!

Stage two with 60 kilometers of trail and 2800 meters of elevation gain starts at 7:30AM.....

No comments:

Post a Comment