Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Tuesday 27 June 2017

Rain Running....Not Really!!!

During todays thunder showers, I posted on the Triple Terrain Train Run Facebook page, that I was going to go for a 45 min run tonight...rain or shine!!!

Coach Krista was quick to respond that she was in....and I was instantly worried!!!  Ive seen pictures of her watch with paces well below the 5:00/km mark; I dont think mine goes below 6:00/km when Im on the trail!!!

I knew there would be few people eager to run in the rain, but I missed the group workout last night so I wanted to go!!!

I also am a firm believer that it is very important to train in the rain.  Clothes chafe differently when they are soaking wet, and your feet become MUCH heavier when water logged.  

When I we met at Evergeen Park, a heavy down pour had just ended.  In the moment before the next rainstorm we left the parking lot and headed into the trails with jackets on.

Soon the sprinkling stopped and just the chilly wind at our back kept me motivated....  I though it was just on our LSD runs that we are supposed to run slow enough to talk the whole time, but Krista didnt seem to have any trouble talking as she set the pace.  I fell in line behind her and tried to respond to the conversation between gasping breaths!!!  ....I did my best!!!

At the first small hill, I took the opportunity to remove my jacket.  Im not sure if it was Krista's efficient pace, the heavy, wet sand we were running in, or the lengthy conversation we were having about being chased by dogs; but I was sweating BUCKETS!!!


When she called out the "12 minutes remaining" call, the pace seemed to quicken. As the distance between us lengthened slightly, I did not have the extra air available in my lungs to carry on the converation with her.  I was in "catch up" mode!!!

The final minutes of the run were nearly a sprint for me.  I glanced at my watch and noticed my current pace of 5:19/km!!!  I finished the run a close second place to Krista (which was also last place).

That is what a great coaches does - keeps you company and provides the motivation to get you going; then on the homestretch, leads you faster than you though you would have gone on your own!!!  Thanks for the GREAT run Krista!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment