Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Sunday 25 June 2017

Peace Island...Solo Run!!!

 Solo run today....one hour of running. We were camped at Peace Island Park near Taylor, BC so I didnt really know where to run to get 5 or 10km in.  I knew there were some trails along the river, so I figured that was a good place to start.

After completing the loop through the power sites, I headed towards the Island portion. On my way, I noticed a quad trail going up the power line...that was where I would finish my time if needed.

As I finished the island portion of the campground, I kept looking for friends that I recognized. And I ran befind one camper that was parked parallel to the road, a LARGE black dog came running at me, barking and growling!!  This was the first time in my running carrer that I have ever been chased by a dog.

He was very close to my heels, and I didnt want him to bite my favorite pair of trail shoes so I spun around and started running backwards, with fists clenched. I waited for the right moment to give him one swift punch, in the jaw, but unfortunately, the fat old dog tuckered out before he came within striking distance!!  I shouted out, above my panting breaths, right from the campground bylaws, "KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEASH.....OR I'LL KNOCK IT SILLY NEXT TIME!!!"

The owner stumbled around the cornere of thier trailer as I turned around and sprinted off in fear!!!

From there it was just a short run to the bottom of the power line. I felt nearly invinceable and I started up the first hill.

  It was just a brief, but steep climb up the first portion, the an incredibly steep decent down the other side into a small creek. Still feeling fresh, I cleared the creek in a single leap and started up the next incline to the top of the valley bench.

The quad trail soon entered dense overbrush and the north facing slope became quite muddy a slippery. I could see where moose and deer had slid down the trail. (A mental not was made for my descent....)

Soon I reached what I thought was the top, clearly, it was not!!!

I looked at my watch; I only had 20 minutes remaining of running to get back to the campground.  So, with the new percieved top of the hill behind me, I turned around and retraced my steps to the bottom of the powerline hill....

Feeling somewhat conquerous, even though I had CLEARLY outrun and mentally defeated a large fat dog....as I cooled down under the shade of the camper awning, I made plans to complete the hillclimn tomorrow in my 22 km run!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment