Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Thursday 22 June 2017

Thursday "EPICNESS"

In order for a run to be TRULY epic, it must start out correctly; with planning and focus.

The workout on "Epic Thursday" started with a bowl of oatmeal and dates.  Yes, it sounds strange, but a "machine" needs fuel to run, and I know my body works well with oatmeal and dates, so why not combine them???

One hour before our 6:00 start time; this was my fuel.... 83 g of carbs and 9 g of protein.



At 6:00 PM, as our group assembled at Evergreen Parks, Gordon Badger Stadium, I could tell I would probably learn another thing or two tonight.  While I had previously run with some of the people in the group, this was the first time I had been able to meet with the whole group at once.  Introductions were made as we walked to the front of the grandstands.

There, we received instructions for our first segment of our 90 min workout.  Stair Relay was the first challenge. We were instructed to team up with someone we didnt know, then wait at the bottom of the stairs for the start signal.

When Krista yelled "GO!!!" and my partner started to sprint up the stairs two steps at a time, I suddenly realized that it wasnt about who could beat who. It was about how hard you could push yourself, even though your body was saying "STOP!!".  All the while, Krista was running up and down the stairs yelling encouragement to everyone.

At the end of every circuit up and down the stairs, a "high- five" sent the next runner up the concrete steps.


After roughly 7 laps up and down the stairs, Krista called us to the bottom.  With jelly legs, we (at least I) stumbled down the final steps and gathered in front of Krista for the assignmemt of the next segment.

"Five kilometer run as fast as you can...!!"

"WUT?? I asked myself, "Surely this cant be true!!!  I can hardly walk, let alone run 5 more kilometers."  But as everyone started down the sandy trail, I followed in pursuit.

There was little breeze as we entered the woods.  The hot sun seemed to beat on me even hotter than before.  I focused on pacing myself, but I still tried to keep up with the group so I would get lost in the woods.....alone!!!

When we came out of the woods and back onto the powerline, I tried to pick up my pace and get back in the group, but they were too far ahead.  So I put my head down, and kept going at my slow and steady pace.  A few hundred meters farther and I could see a group running towards me....then I could hear them yelling, "Turn there...we missed the turnoff!!"

When I turned onto the trail I was right back in the group and running with (aka: trying to keep up with) Kristas mom. I made some comment about her speedy pace and she reminded me that we were supposed to be running as fast as we can!!!  RIGHT!!!  I forgot about that part!!!  Running with someone was all the encouragement I need to quicken my pace and finish the remaining distance with a total time of 32:46 for the 5 km.

Next segment was one more session on the grandstand stairs.  Run up and down every isle...yes all 4 or 5 sets. Now it seemed as though the bones in my legs had turned to mush.....because my legs didnt want stay straight underneath me....

"Now we sprint" Krista directed us.  That seemed quit difficult, because my jelly-filled legs didnt seem to work too well.  Bit as we lined up for the sprint, I remembered the words of my father "The faster you work, the sooner you will be done!!"  But my father didnt know Krista.... The sooner we get done, the sooner we start the next task....lunges!!!

BLECH.....who invented those things??  The lunge relay was a struggle for sure, but with Krista's encouragement and the rest of the group cheering, we all completed them.

Finally, we regrouped in the shade of the grandstands to stretch, Krista went around the group and asked everyone what was their favorite part of the workout.

For some, if was being outside, for others, it was just the fresh air; the sunshine; or just being with friends.  (Although I said my favorite part was the stairs; really my favorite part was not puking!!)

As I walked back to the parking lot thinking; I realized that no one said the best part was being first!!!  Everyone had their own goals and found their sense of accomplishment in different areas.

After the short drive home, when I got out of the truck, I could feel sore muscles in places, I didnt even know I had places!!!  A cold bath was definitly in order!!!

Next it was a glass of wine and a fire on the deck.  Time with the girls to catch up on thier day.  A perfect ending to an EPIC Thurday!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment