Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Monday 26 June 2017

Ups and Downs...


 Todays run was supposed to be 22 kilometers.  As I left the campsite at Peace Island about 10:30, it was proving to be a warm day, so I packed as much water as I could...1.5 liters.

On a typical run, that will last me 25 to 30 kilometers so I figured with the increased temperatures, I should still have enough for 22 km.

I retraced yesterdays path and pushed steady to the top of the final bluff.  This was just over 2 km from camp. From there, the trail doubled back down a pipeline and descended nearly back to the original elevation.  In a small clearing, the trail forked and headed back UP!!!

The picture below was at the 5.5 kilometer mark.



So far, the trail was steep up hill or steep down hill.  There was very little distance that I was at a steady run.   I was already starting into my second 500 ml bottle of water. I knew I would never make 22 km with the water I had.  My water consumption was nearly double what it usually is....this was creating a problem.


So I strategized and made a plan to continue on running until I was half finished my second bottle of water, this should allow be enough water to get back to camp, but would only be roughly 14 kilomers.  Far short of my goal!!!

No sooner had I put my plan into action, than an ATV came up the hill. We chatted for a bit and I told him I was going to stache my water here and get it one the way back.  He then offered me another liter of water which I graciously accepted!!!

With additonal water, this meant more distance, so I continued on the ATV trail which descended down the bluff in a series of switchbacks.  The decent wasnt too steep and the trail was well traveled by ATVs, so I was able to fall into a steady pace.

Two and a half kilometers later, the trail ended where the Pingle Ck Rd meets the highway.  A quick drink again at the bottom and I started back up the hill. This is when I discovered another problem...the WHOLE 2.5 kilometers was the same grade....!!!  If I was going to walk up the hills, I would be walking the entire 2.5 kilometers to the top!!!

So I opted to run in the shade, and walk in the sunshine. This actually worked quite well and the steady uphill running pace was quite sustainable.


When I reached the top of the switchbacks, it was only 5.5 km back to  camp so I followed the ATV trail onto a gravel road.  This road too, was a gradual climb.  I had already run 9.5 km and roughly calculated my turnaround point to be at km 13, so I continued up the road.

Soon I realized that I was going to run out of water before I completed my total distance so I turned around at kilometer 11 and started to head downhill on the road. This felt AMAZING on my legs and I made up some good time.

When I reached the next low point, it really was "a low point"....  I still had roughly 4 kilometers to go and I still had 2 more HUGE climbs to make. It was in the bottom of a narrow valley, there was no wind and the heat seemed to suffocate me. I knew I still had a lot of climbing to do, so I was trying to ration my water.  There was a small muddy creek with stagnant water, unfit for drinking but it was still refreshing as I rinsed off my legs and arms.

As I started the steep uphill climb, I wished for some trecking poles....  I was sure they would make a difference on these steep climbs, so I broke a couple small saplings and used them to assist my weary legs.


As odd as it sounds, this was a HUGE morale boost!!  It gave me something to focus on other than my legs which were quite fatigued, and it help the tedious grind up the hills go a bit faster.

When I finished the final descent off the powerline and onto the road, my pace didnt really quicken that much.  I still was roughly a kilometer from the camper and in the valley floor, there was little wind to cool me from the intense sun.



When I turned onto the straight road in the campground, I could see three little boys on their bikes watching me approach.  They seemed to be somewhat concerned by what they saw coming at them....and I began to wonder how bad I really looked!!!  I tried to smile at them and nod, but then they all put out their hand for high-fives....

Luckily, my eyes were brimming with sweat already so they couldnt see the additonal water welling up in my eyes. Their simple little gesture was the perfect end to my run!!  I had gone through MANY physical ups and downs and this was by FAR my most mental run.

Due to the need for "water management" I was not able to complete the targeted 22 km....but after completing 17 kilometers, I was happy to be finished and enjoy a cold shower to cool down!!



1 comment:

  1. Good for you though Phil. Great job. That was awesome at the end too, that would do it for anyone!

    ReplyDelete