Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Sunday 22 October 2017

GPRC Wandering Wolf, 20 Km Race

I had pretty much retired my running shoes for the fall season.  Golden Ultra was still fresh in my mind and I have been busy planning my 2018 race season.  Helping to lead the weekly run group as well as hunting in my spare time, has kept me moving and still putting on some miles.

But, leave it to a running friend to get me back into running mode!!

Thursday night, Lisa from Walk Run and More, invited me to come run the Wandering Wolf with her.  She said she was still recovering from a race a few weeks prior, "so you will have no problem keeping up with me...."  I should have known better right then!!  Lisa recovers quickly, because she never even seems to tire!!  Even on the longest runs we have done together, get her on some single track and she is GONE!!

Knowing the Wandering Wolf course is mostly on wide ski trails, I assumed that I would be able to match her pace and agreed to sign up for the race.

Friday night, I had to force myself back into "race mode".  This was the first time since Golden that I had pinned on a race bib, and it was hard to shift back into gear.  Especially, with the race on such short notice, I didn't even have time to get pre-race jitters.


About 2:30 AM on Saturday, when I woke up from a restless period of "sleep-racing" (Yes, it is a real thing.  Its a self-diagnosed disorder that I have....) I knew that I was starting to get back into race mode.  I got out of bed for some hydration, then a PBJ for nutrition, then crawled back into bed.  I double checked that my alarm was set for 7AM, then quickly fell asleep.  For the rest of the night, there was no more "sleep-racing".....

Saturday morning turned out to be brisk, even in my dreams, I didnt expect it to be THIS cold!!  After letting the dog outside and experiencing the morning air for myself, I decided that I needed to add another layer of clothing.  With the exception of my hat and gloves, I ended up wearing nearly the same layers as I did at the Chilly Willy when it was -33 degrees!!!  Whose idea was it to run today anyway??

When I arrived at the start line at the Nordic Ski Centre about 8:30AM, there was no doubt in my mind, it was going to be a chilly race.  There was ice on the puddles in the parking lot and I could see my warm breath in the frosty air.  After picking up my race package, I got back in my truck and turned on the heated seat and heated steering wheel.  I was going to absorb as much heat as possible, while I still could!!

At 8:45, it was time to head to the starting area.  There were a few other brave souls standing in shivering groups as we waited for the official start time.  A running friend of mine says to dress like it  is 10 degrees warmer.  After you are running, you will warm up and it will feel that temperature.  I sure was hoping she was right!!

The mood at the start line was brisk to begin with, then the DJ started and we really got rocking!!  It was hard to stand still with the upbeat music, but I sure didn't want to waste any extra energy....I was just trying to stay warm!!  Lisa and I discussed what our target finish time would be.  She guessed 2:10 and I was estimating 2:20....so we opted for a compromising time of 2:15.  When the start horn sounded, it felt good to get moving, but the wind chill added a new level of cold to the situation!!

A small group of elite runners charged ahead (like they always do) and Lisa sprinted into her "nice slow pace" of 5:20/km....I was cold, so I kept up.  As we rounded the first bend in the trail, we headed down hill, lower into the valley.  I could feel the air get colder and the frost was thick on the grass and leaves.  That was more motivation to keep going, but after several kilometres, we came to our first hill and we slowed to a walk.

When I finally caught my breath enough to talk, I reminded Lisa that this was supposed to be a slow run, and last time I checked Strava, a 5:20 pace was NOT slow for me.  The trail looped around and we could hear the beat of the music from the DJ at the start line, it was a good rhythm and I soon had Lisa reined back to a more sustainable 6 minute pace.

About that time, we hit our first section of single track, and like true trail runners, Lisa was back at a sprint, and I was trying to keep up....and it was UP HILL!!!

From there, the chase was on.  Lisa set the pace, and I tried to keep up.  She told me stories of recent cougar sightings (the 4 legged kind) in the area.  It think it was an attempt to help increase my slowing pace, but really, I think it was an excuse for her rapid pace.  But either way, it kept us both motivated!!!

The race course wound its way through the maze of ski trails.  The course was very well marked but there was once when I yelled ahead to Lisa to ask her when the last time was that she saw a trail marker.  She stopped in her tracks and said "Really??  Its been a while.  Are we on the right trail??"  After thanking her for letting me catch up, I chuckled to myself and assured her that we were still on the right path.  (If you can't out run the competition, out-wit them....)

Nearing the end of the first 10 kilometre loop, we came onto another section of single track that descended down a thickly wooded ridge.  I remembered that section of trail from 2016, when I ran one of my FIRST trail races.  This was the spot, where I decided that trail running was what I wanted to do.  This was the beginning of a long journey that has given me many unforgettable memories.

At kilometer 10, we were back at the start/finish line and the start of the second and final lap.  A group of dedicated people had gathered there and cheered us on as we ran past.  Coach Krista was there and gave me an encouraging high-five.

High-fives from Krista!!
The final lap seemed more like a fun-run.  The trail was now familiar and we ran with people from the 5 and 10 kilometre races.  It always amazes me (and slightly demoralizes me) when a little 12 or 14 year old kid goes sprinting past while I push myself to keep my pace.  Their energy is contagious though, and it is fun to cheer them on.  I can only imagine what they are thinking about me as they yell, "Passing on the left!!" then pass me like I am standing still.

After passing the turn off point for the shorter races, it was up to Lisa and I to entertain ourselves again.  In the distance, we could here the DJ at the finish line. We began to discuss what songs would be best suited for us as we crossed the finish line.  My first thought was the theme song from Chariots of Fire; but when that song is playing, I have to run "slow mo"!!  That would never work to accompany a finish line sprint!!  Then we agreed that "Im Sexy and I Know It" would be he perfect song.  I pulled out my phone and text my request to Krista.  Lisa was in disbelief, and when Krista responded "I have connections here with the DJ.....", Lisa made plans to hide in the bushes while I finished the race alone!!  I assured her that I cannot dance, so there would be no embarrassing moves at the finish line, just a sprint.

We were laughing to hard even to pose for the photographer....  Good times!!

In the final kilometres to the finish line I seemed to have finally found my pace, but I also seemed to have found a few sore spots, my one knee was bugging me a bit and my lower back was sore for some reason.  Lisa was still going strong, but did slow her pace enough to stay with me.  When we rounded the final corner, the finish line was in sight and we pick the spot to start our sprint.  About that time, "our song" came on....

It was hard to sprint while laughing, but I managed to pull out all the stops and crossed the finish line just ahead of Lisa.  She commented that she didn't know I was going to sprint "like that" and I reminded her that I always save a little energy during the race, to use at the finish line sprint!!
The finish-line sprint!!
With Lisa's blistering pace we beat BOTH of our target times with an official time of 2:08:24!!  I finished 4th overall, and third in my age group!!  That is my best finish yet!!  There are no limits of what can be accomplished when people work together and motivate each other!!
Coach Krista

The best running partners are the ones
that stick with you and push you out of your comfort zone!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment