Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Wednesday 25 October 2017

Phil's Gear Guide: Osprey Hydration Pack


As my training distances got longer, my 500 ml waist bottle just wasnt sufficient hydration for runs much over 10 km.  With road running, it is easy to stash water along the route to refill, but with trail running, that is not always possible.

I wasnt sure what I was looking for in a hydration pack, so I went to our local running store, Walk Run and More and asked the staff what was the best hydration pack for my longer trail runs.

I told them my budget, but they encouraged me to not make my decision based just on price but on how the pack fit me.  Each pack that seemed to fit well, we added three 500 ml water bottles into the bladder compartment for weight, then I ran for a bit on the tread mill to see if the pack bounced and moved, with me in motion.

My final decision was the Osprey Duro 6 pack!!  It was actually cheaper than comparable packs but had all the standard features.

 

This summer, I have put over 1,000 kilometres on the pack and have never had any issues with chaffing in any of my runs.  The 1.5 liter water bladder is easy to remove and instal even when not thinking correctly after long runs.

Description:

The front shoulder straps each have a long pocket that will hold a 500 ml soft flask or a large can of bear spray as well as a smaller pocket for salt tabs, gels, etc.  The LH strap also has a zipper pocket that will hold a large phone in a water resistant pocket.

The chest straps that connect between the shoulder straps are easy to connect and disconnect as well as adjust on the run.  The connecting clasps connect easily and I have never had a problem with them coming unhooked while running.

At the bottom of the shoulder straps, there is an elastic enclosed mess pocket that is large enough to hold a pair of gloves or a large snack.  While it takes a bit of coordination, the pockets can be accessed on the run without taking off the pack.

Back of the pack.
Front of the pack.

The water bladder is closest to your back.  This keeps the weight closer to the centre of your body to reduce the amount of side to side movement while running.  On the outside of the bladder compartment is a larger 5-6 liter compartment that will conveniently hold a jacket, pants, hat and gloves as well as some food.  On top of that compartment is a water resistant zipper compartment that I use for my first aid and any small items that I don't want to lose in the larger compartment.

Gear for a long run:  Wind Breaker, Hat, Gloves, 1.5 Liters of Water,
Snacks (Boiled Potatoes and Dates),  Salt Tabs, Toilet Paper, Bear Spray,
Space Blanket, and Matches.
On the very outside of the pack is a mesh pocket that is closed with to compression straps that connect to the top of the pack.  These straps help compress the whole pack, but it is also necessary to undo those straps in order to access any of the main compartments.  The mesh pocket will hold an additional water bottle or I sometimes use it to strap on a layer that I remove after I get warmed up.

Running poles can be strapped onto the top of the back right at the connecting points of the shoulder straps.  I did several runs with poles tied in place and they stayed secure and did not bounce or interfere with any body movement.

Pros:

  • Ample pockets allow for exceptional organization of equipment.
  • The surfaces of the pack that contact your body are all a mesh/foam material which provide for excellent moisture wicking.
  • No chaff points.
  • I machine wash regularly with no problems.
  • All compartments (with the exception of the compartments at the bottom of the shoulder straps) are easily accessible and able to be opened on the run.
  • The price is cheaper than most equivalent hydration packs.
Cons:
  • If clothes are not kept in a bag in the main compartment, they get wet from sweat (I sweat LOTS) and condensation from water bladder.
  • If the main compartment is full of gear, it is difficult to fully reinstall the water bladder without removing some of the gear.
Conclusion:

Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this pack to anyone.  The lower price makes it affordable for runners getting into the sport, but the size and features of the pack worked, well even on my longest runs of over 11 hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment