Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Sunday 14 May 2017

Brian Harms Road Race....and a run!!

My second road race of the season is in the books!!  It was more of a training run that a race but I ran the diststance....that is what is important!!!

My training schedule was to ru 23 km today at 6:15 pace so I decided to make a 6 km loop to the race startline in Muskoseepi Park, run the 15 km race, then run the shorter 2 km route home to comeplete my distance.

It was a beautiful morning for a run.  When I left the house it was mostly cloudy and only +1.  By the time the race started, the sun came out and it was blue skies!!!

After leaving the start line, I was beginning to settle into my stride when I noticed I was keeping pace with a lady who seemed much more experienced at running than I am. We soon started talking and found out that she was a trail marathon runner and was just coming off an injury so she was going to run "slow".....  During the converstion, I looked at my watch and saw that her "slow pace" was about 5:30.

As the 15 kilometers slowly counted down, I managed to stay caught up with her, for the duration of the race. She was even nice enough to walk my intervals with me!!

In the final kilometer, I discussed my homestretch strategy.  Apparently, real runners are supposed to smile and sprint to the finish...even though that is a LIE!!!  I do not want to smile OR sprint to the finish line, but I told her I was not going to do my best to sprint...but I was NOT going to race her to the finish line!!!

In the end, I did manage to bust out a sprint...and a grin as I crossed the finish line and apparently, it paid off!!!  I finished second in my age category!!!!

After looking at the final standings, I was disappointed though....there were only 2 of us in my age category....

Thanks to Laverna, I finished the race with a 5:55 pace.  That alone made my day!! 

After recieving my medal,  I shuffled the final 2 kilometers home to complete my distance. I couldn't help but think of the Calgary Marathon that is only 2 weeks away....and only 57 kilometers left to run in the next two weeks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment