Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Thursday 11 May 2017

The Sugar Test

My 10 km fartlek training run started out like any other run...except I had just awaken from a post-supper nap on the couch and it was apparent that I was lacking in motivation. When I walked outside is was quite warm, so I just wore shorts and a lite tee shirt.

I did notice the ominous clouds to the south, but they had been there all day...so I wasnt too worried about rain for a while yet. Well, 2 km into my run, the wind got CRAZY!!! Luckily, I was wearing my Halo headband because it didnt take long for my hair to get all messed up and windblown!!  Then it started to POUR!!

At the 3 km mark I contemplated taking the shortcut home; then I decided to save my first DNF (Did Not Finish) for a race, or when I die, or some other more serious event than a rain storm.

Again at the 6 km mark, the short cut to my house seemed somewhat appealing, but In my somewhat hypothermic state, I turned left and kept on running towards the reserviour.

It was an erie night...the birds in the bushes we silent and there were no other runners on the path. I did meet up with one other lady, out for a jog. When we met on the path, we high-fived each other.  I commented on how amazing and dedicated we were, then I kept running through the sheets of rain and puddles.

I have learned in my running "career", that no run is complete without a lesson learned....  Today, I learned that sugar really doesnt melt in the rain...or maybe that wasnt real rain...???

I also learned that my Halo headband is AMAZING if you have a hairline like mine and there is rainwater mixed with sweat cascading down my expansive forehead....no run-off in my eyes tonight!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment