Crossing The finish Line

Crossing The finish Line
Crossing the finish line of the Canadian Death Race shortly after 7 AM. 125 kilometres in 23 hours 21 minutes.

Monday 29 May 2017

Calgary Marathon



Well, this is pretty much how it all started!!!  A smile on our faces, full of enthusiasm and laughs.  Yes, I realize the race was yesterday and Im a day late posting this, but after an 8 hr drive back from Calgary, sleep was the only thing on my mind when we arrived home just after 11 PM. 

The day started bright and early at 5AM with my usual running breakfast of oatmeal.  Making oatmeal in a hotel room is always a special treat.  The coffee maker water just isnt quit hot enough and I forgot to ask for a microwave for the room when we checked in.

At 6:00 we were sitting on a bus in front of the Westin hotel waiting for the last few people to board so we could make our way to Stampede Park.  Mentally, I still wasnt too much "in the zone"....I just couldnt get there!!!

When the starting horn went off, there wasnt a cloud in the sky and there was just a slight breeze. In the first couple kilometers I warmed up nicely, then settled into a good easy pace.

Fortunatly, there was lots of company on the course, because it didnt take long for me to get board. I just felt so good, that I didnt really have to focus on anything.  I just had fun. About 10 km in, Steve and Megan stopped to stretch out some hamstring issues....Eileen and I continued on after making a Facebook live video of them fading off into our distant past. 

Someone had previously warned me about the steep grade at km 12....and true to Eileens running style, her pace never slowed; and mine did!!  Soon I was seperated from my team and had to find a zone of my own. 

As we started to come into the university campus, Steve and Megan caught up to me again so we ran together.  I was admiring some runners' breakfast that had been left "splashed" on the curb and the seriousness of the race started to set in, but then my mind was once again distracted.... A small rabbitt ran from under a bush and across the nearby campus lawn.  It wasnt holding a sign with its estimated pace, so I sprinted across the grass after it!!!!  

The rabbitt's pace was somewhat faster than mine and it seemed to think that the finish line was on the other side of a tall hedge, so I abandoned the dilusional pace bunny and rejoined the marked race course. 

Kilometer 21 I found myself running alone again, then the bordome really set in!!!  The pavement never seemed to END!!!  

Soon, my pace started to slow and I had to push myself past the 34 kilometer marker. It wasnt long before Steve and Megan caught up to me and helped me maintain a steady pace. Run to the kilometer marker, then walk 150 meters; run a kilometer, then walk 150 meters. This was the rythem we used to complete the final kilometers of the race.

As we started to near the finish line, Steve and I began to strategize on our finish line sprint. We "agreed" that we would do a slow sprint the last couple meters just to say we sprinted to the line.

Well, as we rounded the last corner and the finish line was in sight, the agreed apon finishing strategy seemed to be forgotten!!!  Steve sped up a little, so I increased my pace, then Steve moved in front of me again!!!  Thats when I realized that the "agreement" was more of a "plot" for Steve to pass me on the homestretch!!!  Not no be beat, I musterd all the energy I could and blew out a full blown sprint. Steve did the same, and as the croud cheered us on, Steve crossed the finish line a step ahead of me with a finish time of 4:43:19!!!! 

It was a great race, with an AMAZING finish!!!  After pictures were taken and hugs and high fives were given. The real pain started to set in.  I didnt really have any sore "spots", I was just worn out!!!

But, I guess that means I just have to train harder for my next marathon...and this one, wont be on a boring road....



No comments:

Post a Comment